The Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering MPCE is a major provider of ionising radiation protection through its specialist Radiation Protection Centre RPC which was established in 1987 and has become a leading provider of radiation protection and laser protection services to over 150 NHS and private healthcare organisations across the whole of the UK. The RPC team provides expert advice and services to help our clients ensure use of diagnostic X-rays, radioactive substances and medical lasers are safe for staff and patients.
The RPC centre also incorporates the John Perry laboratory JPL which was founded in 1994 providing calibration services of radiation meters.
RPC offers the following services:
- Radiation Protection Advice RPA
- Laser Protection Advice LPA
- X-ray Equipment Performance and Quality Assurance Measurements
- Repair and Calibration of Radiation Measurement Devices
- Mammography Quality Assurance Services
- Dental X-ray Radiation Safety and Performance Surveys
- Patient and Personnel Radiation Dose Monitoring badges
- Radiation and Laser Safety Training
Supported Medical Equipment
The equipment supported includes:
RPC services support healthcare organisations to ensure their radiation work is performed in compliance with the following Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations (IR(ME)R):
- The Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations 2017
- The Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) (Amendment) Regulations 2018
Quality and Accreditation
RPC services are delivered in accordance with ISO 9001:2015 quality management system standard and they were the first radiation protection centre in the UK to obtain this certification.
The RPC John Perry laboratory JPL calibration services are carried out in accordance with ISO 17025:2017 Standard relating to calibration laboratories, for which JPL is UKAS accredited.
The team consists of:
Advisors: this includes a team of certificated Radiation Protection, Radioactive Waste, and Laser Protection Advisers, as well as Medical Physics Experts with decades of collective experience in radiation.
Trainers: we also have radiation safety trainers who run a comprehensive classroom-based training course programme to cater for the radiation safety needs of all healthcare professionals and also offer a range of online training courses.
Calibration technicians: specialists in repairing and calibrating radiation measurement instruments (invasive and non-invasive).